The glorious Richfield Tower (aka the Richfield Oil Building) stood at 555 South Flower Street in downtown Los Angeles between 1929 to 1969.
Erected in 1928 at the prominent Bunker Hill intersection of Fifth and Flower Streets by the Los Angeles-based Richfield Oil Company, the Stiles O. Clements-designed tower was distinguished by Gladding, McBean’s black and gold terra cotta decoration including sublime angel figures, and an outlandish erupting neon oil gusher roof sign.
This panoramic view is from the roof of the Richfield Tower. Click on it for a larger view:
The building on the left in the below photo is the Jonathan Club Building, at 6th and Figueroa (1952):
Richfield Building elevator doors:
In 1966, Richfield merged with Atlantic, and the following year, the newly branded ARCO made the fateful decision to demolish the most important Art Deco heroic setback skyscraper in the world because it simply wasn’t big enough. A.C. Martin was hired to design the 52-story twin glass ARCO Plaza towers, which are the West Coast’s response to the Seagram Building (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe; Philip Johnson, 1958).
(“The Cranky Preservationist in Search of Lost Art Deco Landmarks”)
Some of these photos were found on southonspring.com