The site of the Beach House was a hot spot on Santa Monica’s Gold Coast in the 1930s and 1940s, as William Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies entertained Hollywood’s rich and famous at Davies’ 5-acre estate. The property boasted a 110-room Georgian Revival mansion designed by Julia Morgan, tennis courts, guest houses, and an ornate swimming pool complete with marble deck and staircases
After Davies sold the estate in 1946, it was operated as ‘Oceanhouse,’ a luxury hotel and limited-membership beach club. Prior to being sold to the State of California is 1959, the main mansion was demolished. The Sand & Sea Club continued until the City of Santa Monica took over operation of the site in 1989. It was run as a public facility open to event rental and filming until the 1994 Northridge earthquake severely damaged all structures on site.
Today, it is known as the Annenberg Community Beach House
Carousel at the beach house:
Kitchen in Marion Davies’ Beach House: